Cultural Heritage

A UKOLN Blog for the Cultural Heritage sector (now archived)

Talk on “Archives on a Micro Scale”

Posted by Brian Kelly on April 9th, 2009

Amanda Hill gave a talk on “Archives on a Micro Scale” at the “Archives 2.0: Shifting Dialogues between Users and Archivists” conference which was held in Manchester on 19-20th March 2009. This talk will, I feel, be of particular interest to those working in archives and similar cultural heritage organisations with limited budgets and effort, describing, as it does, a small archive in Canada which has a total annual budget of $11,000 (£6,000) and 1 member of staff who works for 1 day per week. The total cost of the software purchased (for a 2 year licence) was $47.99 (£26)! This was the cost, I think, of a licence for a Flickr Pro account.

Amanda’s slides are available on Slideshare. They are also embedded in this blog post.

With Amanda’s permission I also videoed her talk, which is available in  .avi and .flv formats. In addition the video is also available on the Google Video service. This video recording is also embedded in this blog post for Web browsers which can render .flv files:

I’m pleased that Amanda’s talk on “Archives on a Micro Scale” can now be viewed on a global scale :-)